Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday June 30th, 2011- My Last Day

Today was my last day at the Sports Information Office at Duke. It was very bittersweet. I am so sad to leave this wonderful experience and put it behind me, especially when Zach and Kelsey still have over half of the summer left here. I however, am so glad to move forward and think about the amazing things I can continue to improve upon in my senior year of college after having a dream internship that really caused me to think about my plans for life after next year. As far as work went today, I just continued updating the back-end of the website archiving football rosters from the 1920's. There were some funny names, like Stonewall Durham. We went out to lunch for my last day and Chelesea's last day of the summer, but she ended up not coming because right before we were about to go she found out that her dog got hit by a car and died. I had a talk with Lindy about my internship and he said that I did a great job, the main comment he had was that he would recommend the career center require an internship be longer. I agree with this, at least for this type of experience, but feel that when we were talking in the spring he should have recommended I do a longer internship. I ended the day with a great conversation with Cook about getting in to the Sports field, coming from a small college or university. (Cook went to Wofford). He said that he hadn't really heard of sports information until his senior year of college and then he started working for the SID office at his school and also did two internships with local papers. He recommeded I reach out to the local papers about doing sports articles. I ended up crying tonight because I had so mixed emotions about the experience being over. I had an amazing experience that pushed me to think about my life plans and I made networking connections that will benefit me greatly, and last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment